The Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT), Nagpur, which is now in its 56th year, has a rich heritage. Since inception, it has remained at the forefront of engineering education in the country.
Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur is one of the thirtyone National Institutes of Technology in the country. The Govt. of India conferred on the Institute, the Deemed to be University status (under University Grants Commission Act, 1956 (3 of 1956)) with effect from 26th June 2002. Subsequently, the Central Govt. by Act of Parliament (National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007 (29 of 2007)) declared VNIT Nagpur as an Institute of National Importance along with all other NITs. The Act was brought into force from 15th August 2007.
Formerly, the Institute was known as Visvesvaraya Regional College of Engineering (VRCE). It was established in the year 1960 under the scheme sponsored by Govt. of India and Govt. of Maharashtra. The college was started in June 1960 by amalgamating the State Govt. Engineering College functioning at Nagpur since July 1956. In the meeting held in October 1962, the Governing Board of the College resolved to name it after the eminent engineer, planner, and statesman of the country Sir M. Visvesvaraya.
Number of international students: 45
Nature of University: Engineering and Technological University
The educational programmes, which VNIT offers to the partner NU universities in the framework of the thematic priorities of BRICS NU
B Tech Program (Total students: 3031)
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
- Mining Engineering
B Arch Program
- Architecture (B.Arch.)
M Tech Program (Total students: 677)
- Environmental Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering
- Construction Technology & Management
- Transportation Engineering
- VLSI Design
- Communication System Engineering
- Computer Science Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Heat Power Engineering
- Integrated Power System
- Power Electronics & Drives
- Material Engineering
- Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Urban Planning
- Excavation Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
M Sc Program (Total students: 96)
Thematic priorities of the University in the BRICS Network University
The Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT), Nagpur has been identified as the lead Institute under the theme “ Ecology and Climate Change” by the Govt. of India, Ministry of Human Resource Development. VNIT is a technical institute (deemed university).
The Institute envisages initially, introduction of courses related to the theme i.e Ecology and climate change at the postgraduate programmes offered by the Institute. In fact, as a follow up of the 1st meeting held at Ekaterinburg in April 2016, a new course on Introduction to Climate Change has been introduced at M.Tech. programme win the academic year 2016-17. A full PG programme on Ecology and Climate change shall be offered in due course of time. Capacity building measures are envisaged through collaboration with participating universities from BRICS countries for mutual benefits with recourse to students and faculty exchange; winter/summer school ; collaborative R & D projects; workshops/seminars etc.
Description of the educational programmes, which the university offers to the partner NU universities in the framework of the thematic priorities of BRICS NU.
The Department of Civil Engineering offers bachelors degree programme i.e. B.Tech in Civil Engineering and Four M.Tech degree programmes viz. Environmental Engineering; Water Resources Engineering; Construction Technology and Management ; and Transportation Engineering.
The department also offers Ph.D. programme in the broad area of environmental engineering and management. The department has adequate infrastructure, lab. facilities and highly qualified faculty to impart education at bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral research programme. The faculty members have been publishing papers in reputed and SCI journals and undertaking sponsored R & D. The department has been organizing training programmes, refresher courses, seminars, in the area environmental engineering and management.
The courses, which fall under the domain of Climate Change and offered particularly at masters program in environmental engineering include wastewater treatment, solid waste management, environmental management, environmental biotechnology, energy and environment, energy efficient buildings, disaster management, environmental impact assessment etc. These courses could be offered to the students from BRICS NU. The doctoral research could also be offered broadly in the areas mentioned above.
Contact Person: Dr.V A Mhaisalkar, Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, VNIT, Nagpur 440 010 India; e mail ID firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact information of the people responsible for the work with the BRICS Network University
- Dr. Narendra Chaudhari, Director, Visvevaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT), Nagpur, India (e mail ID: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org) ITG Team Member
- Dr.V.A.Mhaisalkar, Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Visvevaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT), Nagpur, India (e mail ID: email@example.com)
- Dr. Madhuvanti Latkar, Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT), Nagpur, India (e-mail ID: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dr.A.R.Tembhurkar Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT), Nagpur, India (e-mail ID: email@example.com)
Contact information of a person, responsible for work with the BRICS NU Web portal
- Dr. Manish Kurhekar, Associate Dean (IT), Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Visvevaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT), Nagpur, India e-mail ID: firstname.lastname@example.org)